The Learning and Skills Council was established in April 2001 through the implementation of the Learning and Skills Act 2000
Its key tasks are to:
- Raise participation and achievement by young people
- Increase demand for learning by adults and equalise opportunities through better access to learning
- Raise skill levels for national competitiveness
- Improve the quality of education and training
- Improve effectiveness and efficiency
Cheshire and Warrington Learning and Skills Council is the Council's local arm with responsibility for working with local partners to achieve these tasks in the Cheshire and Warrington area.